TERMS & CONDITIONS FOR 2018 WIN A HOME DESIGNER CHALLENGEPLEASE NOTE THAT ENTRIES FOR THE DESIGN CHALLENGE ARE NOW CLOSED
1. The Win a Home Designer Challenge (“the Designer Challenge“) is organised by Cardova Trading Proprietary Limited (“the Producers/we/our/us“).
2. Each person/duo submitting an application and/or participating for the Designer Challenge (“applicants/contestants/duo/you/your“) agrees and accepts that all the terms and conditions as set out herein are binding on him/her and confirm that he/she has read and understand same.
3. In order to be considered as contestants for the Designer Challenge, both partners in the duo (unless otherwise stated), must:-
3.1. be 18 years of age or older.
3.2. One of the duo/team must hold a tertiary degree or diploma in design or a related creative field. i.e. architecture, fine art, product design, interior decoration, interior architecture, fashion design, art direction and similar fields. We will consider other fields if need be.
3.3. hold a valid South African driver’s license and have your own transport.
3.4. have less than 5 (five) years experience working in interior design, product design, architecture, fine art or related fields.
3.5. be permanent legal resident of the Republic of South Africa (“South Africa”) and agree to provide a valid South African ID, or other valid ID with the necessary visas/permits that allows you to live and work without restrictions in South Africa, when requested by the Producers.
3.6. not be an employee of the Producers, the SABC or any of their agents with respect to Win a Home (“the Programme“) and agrees to not at any stage of the Designer Challenge be an employee of the Producers, the SABC, or any of their agents with respect to the Programme. For the avoidance of any doubt, agents referred to herein (inter alia) includes sponsors of the Programme.
3.7. have no contractual or other legal obligations that may conflict with your application or participation in the Designer Challenge.
3.8 either reside in the greater Cape Town area, or be able to relocate to the Cape Town area at your own cost and make yourself available fulltime for the duration of the Designer Challenge, which is provisionally scheduled to take place from August to December 2018 (specific dates will be confirmed at a later date), and agree to take part in all challenges with respect to the Designer Challenge as directed by the Organisers. You must further make yourself available to participate in the final event, which may include a live broadcast from Cape Town within 3 (three) weeks from completion of the Designer Challenge.
4. In order to be considered as a contestant for the Designer Challenge you must send an application in accordance with and subject to the following:
4.1 Submit a design portfolio per email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following minimum content:
4.1.1. Full names, ages, contact numbers and email addresses for both members of the duo as well as the cities where each resides;
4.1.2. A cover letter of between 100 and 200 words explaining why you should be considered as a contestant duo for the Designer Challenge;
4.1.3. A short biography of both members of the duo;
4.1.4. Ten (10) images (minimum) which can be of previous projects, renders of current projects, renders or sketches of future plans and/or creative ideas;
4.1.5. An A4 mood board that is representative of your design style;
4.1.6. Full length photos of yourselves. Photos may be separate, but ideally photos of the 2 (two) partners together; and
4.1.7. Individual portrait photos of each partner.
4.2. The design portfolio must be sent in one of the following formats: .pdf, .doc, .docx, .ppt, .pptx.
4.3. The design portfolio must not exceed 10mb.
4.4. Alternatively, (to submitting your design portfolio via email) you may also deliver it in physical form to the offices of Cardova at 41 Bell Crescent, Westlake Business Park, Westlake, Cape Town. Please remember that you are still required to complete the email application of your cover letter, biography etc. as required in 4.1 above.
5. Applications for participation in the Designer Challenge will close at the sole and unfettered discretion of the Producers. A notice will be posted on www.winahome.tv when applications are closed.
6. You can only submit one application herein.
7. The Designer Challenge contestant duos will be determined as follows:
7.1. The Producers will consider all the applications received and will select a shortlist of possible contestants (“Shortlisted Applicants“). The Shortlisted Applicants will be determined in sole and unfettered discretion of the Producers. If you are contacted by the Producers, you are not guaranteed to be determined as one of the contestant duos for the Designer Challenge.
7.2. The Producers will contact the Shortlisted Applicants to invite them to an audition at the Producer’s offices in Cape Town. If you have not been contacted by the Producers within 2 (two) weeks from the closing of the applications, your application was unsuccessful.
7.3. Shortlisted Applicants will be required to attend the audition at their own cost on such dates requested by the Producers. Should a Shortlisted Applicant Duo not be able to attend the interview in person they may be given the option to conduct the interview via skype. Both partners in the duo must attend the interview together.
7.4. Should a Shortlisted Applicant Duo be unable or unwilling to attend the interview at the time requested by the Producers, they will not be considered for participation in the Designer Challenge.
7.5. The Producers will determine the 3 (three) contestant duos who will participate in the Designer Challenge (“Contestants“), subject to such persons agreeing to and signing a participation agreement with the Producers. The participation agreement will set out the terms and conditions for participation in the Designer Challenge. Should the selected persons be unwilling to accept the terms and conditions as set out in the participation agreement and to sign a copy of same, the Producers may select different Contestants and that persons shall not have any claim against the Producers.
8. Designer Challenge
8.1 Contestants will compete for the duration of the Designer Challenge. There will be no eliminations during the course of the challenge and 1 (one) duo will be determined as winners at the end of the Designer Challenge.
8.2 The Contestants will be paired with Decor Magazine editors who will act as their mentors throughout the duration of the Designer Challenge.
8.3 The Contestants will be required to be available fulltime to participate, which includes travelling to the building site for the Win a Home units at least once per week, for the duration of the Designer Challenge.
9. Each individual Contestant will receive a stipend of R 5000,00 (Five Thousand Rand) per month for the duration of his/her participation in the Designer Challenge, or as specified in the participation agreement, which stipend shall be paid into the Contestant’s bank account by the 5th day of every month during the period which the Contestant is required by the Producer to be available for purposes of the Designer Challenge. The stipend may be paid pro rata for incomplete months (e.g. in December 2018)
10.By submitting an application for the Designer Challenge, you consent that the Producers may use any personal information supplied by you to the Producers for the purposes of establishing whether you are a suitable candidate and for selecting Contestants herein.
11. You agree that the Producer/SABC may conduct such background checks and request original documents that are necessary to confirm that all the information contained in your application is correct.
12. The Producers, or its appointed representatives, shall determine, in their sole and unfettered discretion, which applicants will be selected as Contestants and who will be the winner/s. The Producer’s decision regarding the aforesaid will be final and you agree not to challenge same.
13. You warrant that material contained in your design portfolio is your own, that your application does not contain any information or material that may infringe any right of any third party in any way and you indemnify the Producers against any such claims.
14. Contestants agree not to engage in activities that violate any law, offend against public morals or embarrass the Producers/SABC/Sponsors of the Designer Challenge in any way during his/her participation herein.
15. You acknowledge that the Designer Challenge will form part of the Programme that will be broadcast on SABC 3 and posted online. Should you be selected as a Contestant, or Shortlisted Applicant, you hereby irrevocably assign to the Producer and to SABC the entire copyright and all other rights of whatsoever nature in and to your participation and contribution to the Programme, whether now in existence or arising in the future, including without limitation, any performance, comments ascribed to you (whether as part of an interview, or behind the scenes footage), during your participation in the Designer Challenge or the Programme and any inclusion of your photographs, likeness, profile, name, voice, sound effect, caricature, literary, artistic and musical materials and the like for purposes of the Programme and/or any related publicity, research and marketing, which the Producers/SABC accept. The Producers/SABC shall therefore be entitled to use, edit, juxtapose, broadcast, re-broadcast, publish or communicate to the public your performance/participation and exploit and license others to use and exploit such contributions, in the whole or in part, by all means and by all media manner and formats whether now known or hereafter invented throughout the world and in perpetuity without remuneration or royalties.
16. Should you be selected as a Contestant, you hereby wave all your moral rights which you may have in your performance in Win a Home as defined under the Copyright Act 1978, as amended.
17. Should the Producer decide, in their own discretion, not to proceed with the Designer Challenge, for any reason whatsoever, the Producer may in its sole discretion elect to terminate this Application Form without any liability to the applicant/s.
18.1. Each applicant/Contestant hereby indemnifies the Producers/SABC/Sponsors/Developer of the Win a Home units, their subsidiary and affiliated companies, their officers, agents, contractors, directors and employees against any costs or damages (including consequential damages and pure economic loss) that may be incurred by the Producers/SABC/Sponsors/ Developer of the Win a home units as a result of claims or charges made against the Producers/SABC/Sponsors/Developer of the Win a home units (whether at the instance of the third party or the applicant/Contestant) for infringement of any right, whether the claim or action arises from delict or contract, or any infringement of whatsoever nature, arising out of or pursuant to the exercise by the Producers/SABC/Sponsors/Developer of the Win a Home units or the applicant/Contestant of its rights or the fulfilment or breach by the applicant/Contestant of his/her obligations in terms of the Designer Challenge, and such indemnity shall extend to the reasonable costs that may be incurred by the Producers/SABC/Sponsors/ Developer of the Win a home units in defending any action instituted against it.
18.2. The Producers/SABC/Sponsors/Developer of the Win a Home units shall not be held liable for any damage or loss suffered by any applicant or Contestant arising out of his/her application or participation in the Designer Challenge. This shall include, but not be limited to, damage arising as a result of living expense, travel, illness, injury, accident, death, loss of income, loss of profit, loss or theft of property whilst participating in the Designer Challenge.
18.3. Any reference to the Producers/SABC/Sponsors/Developer of the Win a Home units shall also include and be applicable to their subsidiary and affiliated companies, their officers, agents, contractors, directors and employees.